Search This Blog

Monday, January 4, 2010

And the Diet begins...

As the final hours of 2009 dwindled away and the inevitable (almost inevitable...if I would have eaten better) diet approached, I mentally prepared for it by telling myself it wouldn't officially start until the evening of Jan 1 (post dinner). :-)

So my gf and I made pasta with shrimp and kielbasa and greens and such...



...trying to get some happy shapes (campanelle/small bell pasta, circular kielbasa, circular shrimp) and green color (greens) to bring in the new year.

We also made rather decadent cupcakes...



But the cupcakes weren't exactly what the recipe called for. Here's what it called for and here's what I used...

RECIPE
2 sticks butter - I only used one
1 cup superfine sugar - I used regular
4 eggs
1 1/2 cup self rising flour - I only had all purpose
4 tbsp dutch cocoa powder
2 tsp. chipotle chili powder - I used 1 tsp hot chili powder
1 tsp baking powder
chocolate chips - I didn't have any

Without the extra stick of butter and a different kind of flour (let alone thicker sugar), I ended up with superdense cupcakes. The recipe called for 18, but I had a pan for 12. And, with the extra spicy chili powder, there was a nice bite in the cupcakes.

The frosting was extra rich. It called for 1 stick butter, 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar, 1/2 cup Dutch cocoa powder, and some Tia Maria coffee liquor.

Even that I altered. I used half a stick of butter, no Tia Maria, and I added milk. I really liked it actually.

But now we had a problem. There was a LOT of cocoa in these cupcakes and I was scared to eat even one so close to midnight. So, instead, we had ice cream and had a cupcake for breakfast instead. What a pick-me-up!

Then came New Year's Day...filled with crab legs, ham, salad, corn souffle and a cheesy corn bread. Here's the recipe...

1 cup milk
5 tablespoons butter
1 cup freshly boiled corn on the cob (2 cobs) or frozen
1 1/4 finely ground yellow corn meal
1/2 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions: mix together the corn meal, flour, sugar, salt, and mozzarella cheese. If the corn is frozen, heat it up before grinding up in a Cuisinart. If fresh, boil and cut off the cob into a blender and puree. Add the corn to the mix. In a sauce pan, bring the milk and butter to a boil and stir into the mix a little at a time, stirring the mix as you do this. The hot milk/butter melts the cheese.
Pour mixture into a greased skillet or oven pan and bake for 20 minutes at 350. Take out only to put more shredded mozzarella on top and bake a little more until melted.

It's really good and you can use this same recipe to make corn pancakes, slipping a slice of provolone between two pancakes. Here is a pic of what the pancakes look like.



But let's get back to things...

After the gorging of New Year's Day lunch, we had sushi and ice cream for New Year's Day dinner.

The official weigh-in on January 2 was 166 pounds.

I sort of, then, er...ate a bunch of crap January 2 and weighed in again on January 3....169 pounds (damn kielbasa!).

But, with consideration to the mass amount of sodium consumption, I'll be fair to start the diet at 166, hoping to make it to 155 by March. I honestly think it won't be bad to hit 160...but those last few pounds will be a pain.

Some main rules I have with this diet as follows...

1.) No alcohol: apart from the sugar involved and messing with the metabolism, I have a bad tendency to eat (bad things) before going to bed if I'm even slightly intoxicated. So the added calories (bad food) to the other added calories (alcohol) only equals too many added calories.

2.) Less carbs at night: carbs in general I try to make whole grains or better carbs (sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes). But I want to watch it more at night since I won't be burning them off so much in the evening.

3.) Elimination of condiments.

4.) More smaller meals. I shouldn't have to be hungry.

5.) More intense workouts.

In order to help this along, I'll start the P90X program next week.

But, coming up this weekend, there will be a slight snafu in dieting plans. I like to call this monkey wrench....Kentucky. As I go with my gf to visit her hometown, there are culinary delights we will be visiting. Here is one of the places we will stop by...

Homemade Ice Cream and Pie Kitchen

If you check out the site, you'll see that it is one hell of a monkey wrench! :-)

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment