Search This Blog

Monday, April 18, 2011

C-Town Chow Down - April 17, 2011

Nothing helps build desire like anticipation. When my brother and sis-in-law saw the Dim and Den Sum food truck last year, Julia and I scoured the earth looking for it. Here was something new to the Cleveland area...something that the Columbus locals were able to brag about for quite some time.

I mean, there are even TOURS for food trucks in Columbus, thanks to Bethia Woolf's Columbus Food Adventures (God bless her).

Meanwhile, in Cleveland, Julia and I were having trouble finding the food trucks...until we finally caught up to one at the IngenuityFest and later, this year, there were two at the Brite Winter Festival.

Thinking back on it, my desire to check out food trucks now makes a lot of sense - they belong to the same family of all the festival food trucks that I've loved over the years. Except these food trucks were advertising more wholesome ingredients and creative concoctions...

...which only enticed me even more.

This past Sunday in Tremont's Lincoln Park...



...just beyond the band playing at the gazebo...



...a line of food trucks came together for the C-Town Chow Down.

This was the second event they put together (Julia and I were out of the country during the first one)...





...and there were quite a few trucks to choose food from.

After having met up with some friends, we started digging in the grub.

The most anticipated item for me turned out to be the most disappointing...



...the chicken liver slider with maple sausage gravy.

Now I realize that many of you are saying, "You were looking forward to liver?" but I must argue that liver can be a rather satisfying dish if prepared correctly. Unfortunately for this dish, the liver seemed a little undercooked, thanks to the presence of blood (see pic above) and its really limp texture. I'd rather not discuss this one further.

Some other dishes weren't all that hot either...



...like the Bahn Mi, which didn't have enough veggies, herbs and sauce to balance all meat inside (the sandwich was dry)...



...or the rice dream dessert, which a friend of ours didn't care for.

But with any adventure, you need to take risks, and we didn't stop there. Of the dishes appreciated...



...our friend liked the meatball sub from Fahrenheit...



...I loved the Best! Polish Boy from Seti's (hot dog with slaw and BBQ drenched fries)...



...Julia and I enjoyed the mango white chocolate cookie and walnut brownie from Cakes Plus...



...and Oliver simply enjoyed the aroma of all the food we grazed on.

He probably would have appreciated a bite too!

.



2 comments:

  1. Kristian - Thanks for the shout out. I hope you'll make it down soon for one of our taco truck tours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing a great look at one of Ohio's growing specialties. I thing we're becoming the envy of food truck lovers everywhere!

    Be sure to check out our blog at http://www.DiscoveringOhio.com for some more Ohio getaway ideas. We look forward to reading about more of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete