Search This Blog

Friday, February 19, 2010

Me gustan los pancakes!

One evening at my mom's house, we decided to make pancakes. Actually, we originally agreed on breakfast, but that turned into a discussion of pancakes. Then I remembered I had this recipe for Olive Oil Pancakes, something that sounded rather interesting to me (not as interesting to my mom).

But, while she got involved with a phone call, I took advantage of the situation and stealthily made them anyways (I'm bad like that).

Here is the recipe...
  • 1 3/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoon(s) sugar
  • 2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 1/2 cup(s) buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup(s) Spanish extra-virgin olive oil, plus more if necessary
Mix well and use some olive oil in the pan. You can also use dark chocolate chips in the batter and honey on the pancake itself. There are variations.



Here's the basic batter...




...then some granola and banana added to it (cooked in olive oil as well)...



...and then some fine-looking pancakes.

The pancakes themselves were still a little sweet, but with a richer flavor than traditional pancakes. The olive oil was really a nice touch. At this point, even my mother agreed and seemed interested in this varied recipe of a classic dish.

We plated them and opened the fridge to see what we should top them with. I, myself, am not a big fan of syrup, only because pancakes dry out easily and I keep having to put on more. (I will usually use real maple syrup though to sweeten things like oatmeal) Therefore, I usually use jelly on my pancakes.

But olive oil pancakes seemed like they needed something more than just simple sugary jelly. We searched the fridge and pantry for a solution.

Then it hit us...why not mix some locally made blueberry butter with some nice ricotta cheese? With a one-to-one ratio, we had something that was colorful, flavorful, and complimentary to the banana granola olive oil pancakes.

And nice to look at, if I say so myself.



And delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment